Call Us Today For A Free Quote | (318) 251-1212
Bromell Agency, Inc. Providing great insurance quotes and expert advice from professionals in the industry

Flooded home

The National Flood Insurance Program estimates that on average it costs $39,150 to repair a 2,000 square foot home with six inches of water damage. Repair costs can include cleaning fees; refinishing or replacing flooring; repairing doors, windows and trim; repairing electronic devices; and electrical and plumbing work.

There are several ways in which your home can sustain water damage. Do you know if your homeowners insurance protects you?

Burst pipe: Water damage from burst pipes is generally covered under your homeowners policy, after your deductible. However, if your insurance company believes that you were at fault or negligent in some way that caused the pipe to burst (e.g., you failed to heat your home properly and the pipes froze and burst), they may deny your claim.

Washing machine and other appliance leaks: Washing machine leaks are very common and can cause a great deal of damage. In most cases, if the leak is sudden and considered “accidental,” your homeowners policy will cover the costs of repairing the damage. However, if you are deemed to be negligent—e.g., there was an ongoing leak that you failed to fix, rather than a sudden “explosion” of the hose—your claim may be denied.

Roof leak: Your homeowners policy will cover damage to your roof and the interior of your home if the leaky roof was caused by a “covered peril”—wind, rain, hail or fire. If the leak and subsequent damage are because you have failed to properly maintain your roof, you will likely not have coverage. Your claim might also be denied if the roof damage is caused by a hurricane or flood.

Ground water seepage: Water that floods a basement or causes foundation damage is considered a maintenance issue. Most insurance companies will not cover damage due to ground water seepage.

Sewer backup: Standard homeowners insurance policies do not cover damage from sewer or drain backup, but you can add this coverage with a policy endorsement for an additional cost.

Flood from a hurricane or other weather event: Flood damage is not covered under your homeowners insurance policy.

If you live in a flood plain or want the additional protection afforded by flood insurance, you need to purchase flood insurance offered by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Congress created the National Flood Insurance Program in 1968 to help provide a way for property owners to financially protect themselves from flood damage. Flood insurance from the NFIP is available to homeowners, renters, condo owners and business owners.

In certain hurricane prone regions like much of Louisiana, you must purchase flood insurance if you have a mortgage on your home. People who live in moderate- to low-risk areas that have federally backed mortgages typically are not required to have flood insurance. However, keep in mind that people outside of high-risk areas file over 20% of NFIP claims and receive one-third of the disaster assistance allotted for flooding related disasters.

Flood insurance can only be purchased from your insurance agent, not directly from the federal government. The cost of flood insurance from the NFIP varies depending on how much insurance is purchased, what it covers, and what the flood risk of your property is.

The agents at Bromell Agency can work with you to determine the coverage options that are right for you and your property, and we can help you determine how much flood insurance coverage you need. You can also visit to review flood maps and find out the insurance requirements for your risk area.

Also Read: Besides Checking Your Home Insurance, Critical Things To Do When Planning A Vacation

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2020
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2013

View Mobile Version
Instant Quote
We love referrals! And thank you even more for your continued business.
Customer Service
Self policy service any time of the day, directly from our website.
Join Our Newsletter
Stay in touch with the latest events, news and offers we have.
From Our Blog

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google
Stay In Touch With Us Helpful Site Links Contact Us
Sign up now to receive new and updates

711 North Vienna Street
Ruston, LA 71720
Office: 318-251-1212
Fax: 318-251-3089

880 Bert Kouns Industrial Loop, St B
Shreveport, LA 71118
Office: 318-687-1222

Powered by Insurance Website Builder
Trusted Choice Trusted Choice